0.8 C
New York
Saturday, November 29, 2025

Three days of mourning begins after Hong Kong apartment fire

Hong Kong officials mark beginning of official mourning period with moment of silence

Hong Kong officials have held a moment of silence at the start of a three-day mourning period to remember those killed after the city’s deadliest fire in nearly 80 years.

At least 128 people are now known to have died in the fire, which engulfed seven tower blocks on Wednesday. A further 83 were injured and 150 remain unaccounted for.

Eight people have been arrested on suspicion of corruption over the renovation works the blocks had been undergoing. Three others were detained earlier on manslaughter charges.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, but officials have said it spread up and between the blocks rapidly because of flammable materials placed on their exterior.

Saturday morning’s ceremony was held outside government headquarters, and saw city leader John Lee joined by other Hong Kong officials to observe three minutes of silence.

The flags of China and Hong Kong were flown at half mast.

The government has also set up memorial points across the city, where the public can pay their respects and sign condolence books.

Once the fire started, it spread quickly to seven of the eight towers in Wang Fuk Court, in Hong Kong’s northerly suburban Tai Po distric.

It then took more than 2,000 firefighters almost two days to bring the blaze under control.

The cause of the fire remains unclear, though authorities have said that polystyrene placed on the outside of the windows and plastic netting around the scaffolding on the buildings facilitated its spread.

The tower blocks were also covered in bamboo scaffolding, which is commonly used for construction and renovation work in Hong Kong. The fire has sparked a debate on whether it should still be used.

Reuters A student places a flower bouquet at the scene after a deadly fire at the Wang Fuk Court housing complex.Reuters

Officials have confirmed that an investigation will be taking place over the next few weeks, with police already gathering evidence from the scene.

The fire has caused anger throughout Hong Kong – which is known for its high-rise buildings – as questions about who should be held accountable grow.

Residents of Wang Fuk Court have reported broken fire alarms and negligence from the company carrying out the renovations on the Wang Fuk Court, while Hong Kong’s fire service has said fire alarms in all eight blocks were not working effectively.

The Independent Commission Against Corruption (Icac) said those arrested in the corruption probe on Friday included directors at an engineering company and scaffolding subcontractors.

Hong Kong’s Labour and Welfare Secretary, Chris Sun, told reporters that his department had made 16 checks on the works at Wang Fuk Court since July last year.

The housing estate was built in 1983 and had provided 1,984 apartments for some 4,600 residents, according to a 2021 government census.

Previous article

Related Articles

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Articles